Wednesday, 28 November 2012
An Excellent resource from Ms Alawiye
Here's a really informative and useful resource from Ms Alawiye that you can use to prepare for your assessment.
General notes on Romeo & Juliet and The Laboratory
· Arrogance: ‘If it hurts her…’
· Lack of conscience – ‘…I dance’
· Money is the root of all evil – gold caskets/earring- precious jewels protecting the poison.
· Special lexicon-mortar/gum/gold oozing/phial/lozenge/pastille
· Persona/speaker/protagonist is marked & scared by her deceitful lover. The persona burns with shame she is egotistical, making reference to herself as ‘I’.
· The metre is anapaestic – creating rather jaunty effect.
· Gothic features
· The use of enjambment makes it sound like a story reflecting her emotions.
Romeo & Juliet
Ø Emotions are oscillating
Ø Protagonists feed on each other’s passion and indifference
Ø There’s a cycle of ardour & indifference
Ø Quote – ‘snowy dove trooping with crows’. The lexis dove suggests that Juliet is both beautiful and a figure of peace whereas, ‘crows’ could represent the Capulet family or a contrast to other females.
Useful phrase/sentence starters:
From studying the poem/play….
The poet/play wright/author uses…to show a sense of…